Friday, June 21, 2013

LA Mayor Villaraigosa: 'I Want to Run for Governor'

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa can't run for re-election, but he still has his eyes on politics, saying he'd like to be governor of California one day.

"I want to run for governor. In fact, I fully expect that I will," Villaraigosa said Tuesday on KPCC-FM in Pasadena.

The Democrat did not say when he would like to run for governor. The next election is November 2014, and the one after that would be four years later. Democratic incumbent Jerry Brown would be eligible to seek re-election in 2014.

In the short term, Villaraigosa is looking to be involved with a university or think tank and get public speaking engagements, reports CBSLA.com.

The website previously has reported that the outgoing mayor has no money after living a lavish lifestyle during his tenure.

"His friends are so concerned because he?s lived so flamboyantly and spent basically so much of other people?s money on a very, very costly lifestyle," L.A. Weekly Managing Editor Jill Stewart said on KNX 1070 Newsradio. Stewart said Villaraigosa has lived "far better than Gov. Jerry Brown and far more flamboyantly than actual multi-millionaire mayor Richard Riordan."

Villaraigosa said he'd like to have a listening tour before running for governor. Until then, he's open to anything.

"I?ll do anything that the mayor, the governor, the city of Los Angeles ask me to do on their behalf," he said. "People have said would I head up trade missions for the town when the mayor can?t. I said, 'Absolutely.' If I can promote the town that I was born and raised in and that my grandpa came to a hundred years ago, I?m going to do it."

? 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/la-mayor-run-governor/2013/06/19/id/510849

Castel Gandolfo Silver Linings Playbook daniel day lewis Life of Pi Christoph Waltz Quvenzhané Wallis dancing with the stars cast

No comments:

Post a Comment